“One heart and one mind in the heart of Jesus”

The Society of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, known too by the acronym R.S.C.J. Religeuse du Sacre Coeur, founded in France in 1800, was established in Ireland in 1842.   In the current century the Irish Scottish province consists of 36 Irish sisters and 15 Scottish, 2 British and 1 Italian, a total of 54.  The last three live in Scotland and one of the Scots lives in Ireland. 

The current leadership group consists of three Irish people and one Scottish person. Dairne McHenry is, in accordance with Canon Law, the canonical leader. The other two Irish people are Bernadette McArdle and Carmel Flynn. The fourth person of the Province Leadership Group is Mary Cavanagh  who lives in Scotland.

The RSCJ Finance Office in Ireland is in

Mount Anville House, Goatstown , Co. Dublin.
D 14 KX80

Ian Molloy – CFO
Cait McCormack

Secretariat and communications office is located at

76 Home Farm Road, Dubln 9.
D09 R903

Orla O’Hanlon – Executive Officer
Helen Mulholland – Secretary

Scotland’s administration is dealt with in

27 Park Road, Dalkeith,
EH22 3DH

The staff of the office in Scotland
AnnMarie Meikle – Operations and Finance Manager

There are also religious responsible for different aspects of the life of the sisters, these are known as circles – FLP  finance legal & property;  H – health; H&M community and ministry. Each of these circles has a link person within the Provincial leadership group. 

The congregation, originally founded in France by Madeleine Sophie Barat in 1800 provided educational opportunities for girls at a time when this was rare. The first school was in Amiens.  She sought a simple lifestyle for the religious without the prescribed austerities of older orders as these would be incompatible with the work of a school.  In some locations the religious were responsible for one school but in many places there were at least two schools, a boarding school, a school for poor children and a night school for those who had not had opportunities at an earlier age.  Formal approbation of the congregation, known as the Society of the Sacred Heart, was received in 1826 from Pope Leo XII. Expansion within Europe occurred quickly and in 1818 Rose Philippine Duchesne and companions sailed to America and established a free school in St. Charles, Missouri.  Up to 1865, when she died, Madeleine Sophie Barat, was the Superior General.